Friday, January 17, 2014

Two weeks in!!

Hello everyone!

Today is Thurday. I have been on my adventure for two weeks! It's amazing how time flies. I just had my first week of classes; I'm taking Grammar, Conversation, History of Central America, and Music of Latin Ameria. It's a drastic change from the 18 credits of kinesiology and science I've been taking in Pullman. Luckily, I have plenty to keep me busy, such as my honor's thesis, a paper I was suppose to write last semester and never did, finding a physical therapy intership for the summer, and of course, keeping you all updated!

More about school. My classes meet once a week, except grammar, which is twice a week. I am done with classes by Wednesday at noon! Also, we have no classes scheduled on Friday, because they want to encourage us to go out and explore Costa Rica. The school also provides us with coffee and fresh fruit - let me just say, we attack that table everyday! The fruit tastes better down here, probably because it hasn't spent time in a shipping container. The school has wonderful gardens, and all the trees make me feel very safe and secure. Overall, I really like the school. 

The conversation class might turn out to be one of my favorites. We spend two hours a week in class, and we spend two hours a week in the community. I think I am going to spend one hour teaching English classes at the library, and one hour at the senior care center. I also want to find a physical therapist to observe, but that will be outside of the conversation class. I also want to start working out again. Ive been to the gym twice, and will pick it up more after this weekend. 

This weekend, we are going to Manuel Antonio, a beach on the Pacific Ocean! I'm very excited to relax in the sand. I'll try to post about it over the weekend, provided my hostel (Vista Selena) has internet. The plans changed over the past couple days, but we finally hammered out details. I went with my API director (Irina) to San Jose today to buy bus tickets for everyone. We are taking the 6am bus from San Jose, which means we take the 5am bus from San Joaquin. Its going to be an early morning! 

Taking the buses with Irina helped boost my confidence in using the transportation system. The hardest part is just knowing where the bus stops are, since they are unmarked. We made it to San Jose and took the taxi to the bus terminal. It's a new terminal, so it is very nice as far as bus terminals go. Afterwards, Iri and I walked to the central part of San Jose and she helped me buy a watch - my original one decided to quit ticking on the 3rd day here. It's nice to not have to pull out my phone to check the time. We came back to San Joaquin, and I welcomed the calmer streets. 

I hope everyone is having a good time in the US! I'm praying for snow for everyone in the Pacific Northwest! I can't wait to see everyone! The homesickness still comes in waves, but each wave is getting smaller, and passing more quickly. I'll post again soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment