Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Hola desde Costa Rica

Hey everybody! I've been in Costa Rica almost a week! Crazy! Here are some things I've already learned. (And this will be helpful for people studying abroad.)
1. I wish I brought my yoga pants for PJ's.
That said:
2. In the daytime it is shorts and t-shirt weather. At night, or around 6:00p.m., it becomes jeans and sweatshirt weather.
3. Gifts for host family ideas: Nalgene waterbottles, chocolate, Bed Bath and Beyond stuff... really anything. They do have Ferrerra-Rocher chocolate down here, just FYI.
4. There is Walmart, McDonalds, Wendy's, and other American stores.
5. Be ready for lots of people!
6. What is considered rural is not rural. :) San Joaquin de Flores is supposedly rural, but its not. To me it is a town.
7. Bring your camera and double check memory cards.
8. Customs and immigration are easy in San Jose International Airport. Don't worry, you will be fine.
 9. If you want to tape pictures to your wall, bring tape. I bought it here (only $1.50 for masking tape), but still annoying.
There will be more things as I go, but I feel this will help most people who are ready to study abroad.

So, what have I done? Well, I have explored San Jose,  the National Theater, traveled to Cartago and the basilica, seen La Negrita, hiked the Poas Volcano, figured out buses, and met our host families.

Now, I have found out, just like when you are a freshman in college, the busier you are, the better. I will admit, I am homesick. I miss waffles, US driving (Costa Ricans are crazy!), and apples from Wenatchee. I also miss my quiet room, but it is all part of the experience. Yesterday, the homesickness was pretty bad. Luckily, I live kitty-corner to the church in San Joaquin de Flores. I went to mass at 5pm and it was wonderful. I may not have understood the words, but I still understood the mass. :) Although, for everyone at St.Thommies in Pullman, there was a 30 minute homily for daily mass. I think Sunday's going to be longer, so don't complain about the length of Fr. Kevin's :). Also, while mass helped, it reminded me of St. Thommies and all my friends there. It was definitely bittersweet.

That being said, I will get over the homesickness.  I will be home before I know it and will see everyone soon. In the meantime, I will try to post pictures and keep this blog current.

If you want to see pictures, go to my flickr. You can't find my account unless you use this link. It's just a bit of security to make me feel better :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/113459151@N02/

I will write you all soon! Have a fun rest of your vacation, and enjoy the cold, windy, snowy winter of Pullman for me! ;)
This is a picture of the view looking down from the volcano toward the Central Valley and San Jose, which is under the clouds.

If you have any questions for me, let me know, and I will do my best to answer them!

No comments:

Post a Comment