Thursday, January 2, 2014

Getting Ready

College is all about taking risks and adventures. For years, I have dreamed about studying abroad, and finally, with many hours spent planning and reading, I am going to spend my spring semester in San Joaquín de Flores, Costa Rica! WOOHOO!! I am excited (and yes, nervous), but I am ready for an adventure. I will be gone from January 2nd - May 10th, 2014. I am skipping out on the Pullman winter and will be enjoying the Central Valley and surrounding rainforests and beaches. :)

Some people are wanting more information, so here it is: I will be studying Spanish at the Instituto de San Joaquín de Flores, an intensive language center designed for American students. I am taking 4 or 5 classes, and they are all 300 and 400 level Spanish classes that will also cover some of my honors classes (UH 370, 380, and 430, for those who know what that is). I will also be earning my Global Competency certificate from the WSU Honors College. Now, I had many options for choosing where and with whom to study. I choose API (Academic Programs International). I am very happy I choose them; everything is included, including a cellphone (not the minutes/SIM card). For anyone looking into studying abroad, make sure you look at what is included in the price for different programs. At first glance, API was the most expensive, but their price includes everything but the flight. When I added all the additional fees to other programs, they turned out to cost around the same. So if price is worrying any curious students, please don't let it bother you - choose the program and place that will work the best for you and what you want to study. That said, you will face nerves and every emotion under the sun when you leave - I say that because as I write this, I am sitting in the airport waiting for my flight to Miami, then onto San Jose.

Anyway, I plan on using this blog to keep family and friends up to date on current happenings and things I experience in Central America. I also hope any information I give will be helpful to other students who are curious about studying abroad. To those students I say EXPLORE! Go to the study abroad office, get your passport, talk to your parents, and be ready for an adventure! (And practice skillful packing! My suitcase was 49.9lbs, and the limit was 50lbs. I must say, I am lucky for that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment