Saturday was when homesickness really hit me. I had not slept well, was motion sick from the van driving on curvy roads, and not feeling like I meshed with the group very well. It was while passing McDonalds and other American-based stores when the tears came. Based on everything people say, this is completely normal and totally expected! I think everyone remembers their first semester at college. Its basically the same feelings. And about the group: I am a planner, I am reserved, and am not comfortable with the bar scene. I love everyone in my group, but they are much more outgoing than me. Hopefully I will be able to overcome my hesitation and become more spontanious. There are plans in the making to go to the beach next weekend. I want to talk with my API director about traveling and how to get the buses figured out. After that I know I will feel better, and I know I will enjoy my time spent with all the amazing people I have met so far.
On a different note, we went to the pool yesterday for the last 45 minutes it was open! Within 20 minutes, I could tell I had a sunburn. I changed into my clothes to save my skin. I will be here for 4 months, so I don't feel like I need to fry myself the second week. The sun down here is very intense, and feels very good to a girl from Washington State. Enjoy the sun! The vitamin D is wonderful and helps make you happy.
After the pool we went to Walmart! We all needed some things, like razors, body wash, earplugs, and such. I wanted to buy a hair dryer, becuase I had read it was easier to buy than to bring down from the US. Well, I wish I had brought mine, because a similar hair dryer costs $70!!! (I have a ConAir Ion Shine) Ouch! I will air dry my hair for the rest of the time I am down here. If you are planning on studying down here, bring your own hairdryer (BYOHD), or plan on going al-natural.
Also, it is a good idea to bring your own beach towel for the pool and the beach. We weren't able to find beach towels at Walmart, and the bath towels cost around $12. And if you want an idea of the cost of things, my body wash was $7, compared to about $4.50 in the US. My small washcloth was 1.50, and my snack was 50 cents. Overall, if things are imported, they are more expensive. We also couldn't find earplugs - I would suggest bringing some down with you. I have never used them before, but now I use them every night. Also, bring slippers. Due to the humidity, most of the houses only have tile. Slippers are a comfy item from home, and you will be glad you have them!
The buses are getting easier to use for all of us down here. Just make sure you read the signs in the bus windows to make sure you are getting on the right bus. It's all right to feel nervous about them - you will figure them out once you are down here.
I also was hesitant to run down here. I didn't know if it was popular. I did not need to worry! Many people run, bike, and go for walks. The most popular time is in the morning when it is sunny, but still relatively cool out. (Maybe around 6:30-7) If you want to run in Costa Rica, go ahead! It is a good way to explore and to get endorphines that help combat the homesickness you will experience.
I hope everyone is having a wonderful time back at home! For all the students, good luck on the first day of classes; mine start today! (Monday)
No comments:
Post a Comment