I’d like to share my experience of Semana Santa(Holy Week) with you. Semana
Santa is a huge deal in Costa Rica, especially because of the large Catholic population. Growing up Catholic, I understand the importance of the days leading
up to Easter, and was looking forward to experiencing Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil and Easter
down here in San Joaquín. Semana Santa is also the spring break down here, so it was nice to relax and not have to worry about classes for a week.
Processions are very popular in San Joaquín. As it
turns out, SJF is famous for their processions, along with Cartago and Belen.
Hundreds of people come to watch, and many of the local people participate. The
dedication of the residents is incredible. The Roman soldiers must have marched
and played drums for 4 hours a day.
The longest procession was on Friday, which started 2
km away from the main plaza and included the Stations of the Cross. The final
stations were in the plaza. It was VERY powerful watching the
Roman guards whip Jesus. The processions helped remind me what Easter and Holy Week is all about.
Here are some pictures:
One last thing, there is no Easter bunny down here! This is
the first year I haven’t had an Easter basket, or listened to my traditional Easter story (The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes). I did eat a lot of chivere
empanadas, however. It is a dangerous thing when your host mom makes and sells
bread and desserts from her house! Families do gather together, but it
feels more like a small holiday. In the United States it seems to be a bigger effort to get families together
– here, not so much.
I know this is a small blog post, but I just wanted to give
you all a little taste of Easter...Costa Rican style.
No comments:
Post a Comment