Arenal!
This weekend myself and the other API kids (Albert, Jill,
Scott, Abbie, and MaryClaire) had the opportunity to visit Arenal and Rio
Celeste with our fearless guide and director, Esteban! We were all super
excited, and for good reason.
We left San Joaquin de Flores at 9am on Friday. It was very nice having private transportation, and not having to deal with the bus system. We followed some windy roads up into the mountains. Our first stop, about 1 hour into the trip, was a town called Zarcero. It’s a small town with around 4,500 residence, but we went to see the gardens at the Parque Francisco Alvarado and the church, la Iglesia de San Rafael. The park is full of bushes and trees that have been shaped into fantastic animals, shapes, and are altogether wonderful. We all had fun running around and taking pictures. The church was also beautiful. It is made of wood, which is different from many of the stone churches you will find in Costa Rica. There was a pianist playing when we visited, so the experience was quiet majestic.
We
checked into our hotel, Arenal Paraiso, and then took off for the national
park. We took a short hike and went to the observation point where there are
views of the volcano and Lake Arenal. See the pictures below:
After,
we had a few hours at the hotel, then headed to Baldi to visit the hot springs.
They were wonderful! The water was super warm, and we explored the whole
complex. Our ticket time was for 6-10pm, but we all were tired, so we found
Esteban and returned to the hotel around 8:30. I checked the Olympic games,
then fell asleep.
On
Saturday, we had a delicious buffet breakfast and headed to Rio Celeste. It was
raining, and I forgot my raincoat! I guess I’m used to the semi-desert of
Wenatchee, where I never need one. Esteban and his girlfriend, Lucia, didn’t
have raincoats either, so we stopped and got dollar ponchos. Best purchase of
the weekend!
We
hiked into Rio Celeste and saw the waterfall, sulfur pools, and where the water
changes from normal to the brilliant blue. Although it was raining, we still
could see the color, which was a blessing. We went to the end and soaked in
some natural hot springs, and then headed back out. After a total of 5 hours of
hiking in the rain and mud, we all were grateful to head back to the hotel.
*Note,
if anyone is planning on going to Rio Celeste, the trail is pretty treacherous.
It was super muddy for us, and there are many tree roots and rocks. Take an
extra pair of shoes, because my tennis shoes were covered in mud and soaking
wet.
On
Saturday night, we all went to a nice group dinner in La Fortuna, and I had
yummy steak. J I also experienced Pops ice-cream for the
first time. It is delicious, and reminds me of Baskin-Robbins.
Sunday
morning rolled around and we had the morning to ourselves. The group basked in
the sun, watched movies, and used the WiFi in the hotel lobby. At 12, we headed
back to San Joaquin. I got back at 3:45, dropped my bags, and went to the
church to attend 4pm mass. Once I got back, I had some quality time with my
Tica mom as we cleaned and scrubbed my tennis shoes. They are now squeaky
clean, but I need some bleach to get them white again.
On the agenda
this week: Classes, teaching English, working out, observing a physical
therapist, and enjoying the package my boyfriend sent me for Valentines day. J Lots of yummy chocolate and
candy!!
The weekend was a blast, and now I have a normal week ahead of me. Hope everyone is having a wonderful February!
No comments:
Post a Comment